[Mod_transform] undefined symbols when compiling on OS X leopard (10.5)

Cristopher Ewing cewing at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 23 21:49:33 EDT 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to build mod_transform in order to support theming plone
sites via xdv.  I've run into a problem and I'm hoping someone can
help figure out how to proceed.

Here's what happens.  I'm applying the patches created by Lawrence
Rowe and referenced here:

http://lists.outoforder.cc/pipermail/mod_transform/2008-August/
000057.html

as well as some patches he made for mod_depends (which compiles and
installs cleanly).

I can run ./configure with no problems, but when running make, it
fails with the following message:
   Undefined symbols:
     "_apreq_handle_apache2", referenced from:
         _filter_init in http_la-http.o
         _transform_run_begin in http_la-http.o
     "_xmlStrdup", referenced from:
         _httpRemoteIP in http_la-http.o
         _httpRequestHeader in http_la-http.o
         _httpGet in http_la-http.o
     "_xmlXPathNewFloat", referenced from:
         _httpRemotePort in http_la-http.o
     "_xmlXPathWrapString", referenced from:
         _httpRemoteIP in http_la-http.o
         _httpRequestHeader in http_la-http.o
         _httpGet in http_la-http.o
     "_xsltRegisterExtModuleFunction", referenced from:
         _child_init in http_la-http.o
         _child_init in http_la-http.o
         _child_init in http_la-http.o
         _child_init in http_la-http.o
     "_xmlXPathPopString", referenced from:
         _httpRequestHeader in http_la-http.o
         _httpGet in http_la-http.o
     "_valuePush", referenced from:
         _httpRemoteIP in http_la-http.o
         _httpRemotePort in http_la-http.o
         _httpRequestHeader in http_la-http.o
         _httpGet in http_la-http.o
     "_xmlXPatherror", referenced from:
         _httpRemoteIP in http_la-http.o
         _httpRemotePort in http_la-http.o
         _httpRequestHeader in http_la-http.o
         _httpGet in http_la-http.o
   ld: symbol(s) not found
   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
   make[1]: *** [http.la] Error 1
   make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I've checked and all the library files referenced in src/http.c are
present in the expected locations.  All the symbols referenced by the
above message are defined in those files, as expected.  I'm just not
sure where to go from here.  Can anyone reading this list offer some
advice on how to build on an OS X xserve running 10.5?

Thanks for any advice you all can offer,

********************************
Cris Ewing
Webmaster, Lead Developer
Department of Radiology Web Services