[Modules] Problem with running 'configure' for mod_gnutls 0.4.3

Ernest Hymel, MD, PhD ehymel at e-medico.com
Wed May 7 12:56:13 EDT 2008

Thanks for all your great work.

Running on Fedora 8, using gnutls-2.3.8, I am unable to successfully
run './configure' with either mod_gnutls 0.4.3 or 0.5.1. Version
0.4.2.1 configures just fine. My error message:

<snip... >
checking whether DEFAULT_EXP_LIBEXECDIR is declared... no
checking for libgnutls-config... /usr/local/bin/libgnutls-config
checking for libgnutls - version >= 2.2.1... no
*** Could not run libgnutls test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding LIBGNUTLS or finding the wrong
*** version of LIBGNUTLS. If it is not finding LIBGNUTLS, you'll need
to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
***
configure: error:
***
*** libgnutls were not found. You may want to get it from
*** http://www.gnutls.org/
***

My system does have libgnutls-config in the expected location:
# which libgnutls-config
/usr/local/bin/libgnutls-config

and it runs successfully:
# /usr/local/bin/libgnutls-config --version
2.3.8

Any hints? Happy to provide other info as needed.