[Modules] Dynamically loading certificates.

Adam Hasselbalch Hansen ahh at one.com
Thu Sep 4 06:16:55 EDT 2008

Hi there.

I would like to hear opinions and ideas on loading certificate files at
request time, rather than at server startup.

We are hosting several thousand domains. As such, it is unfeasible to
define static vhosts for every single one. Instead, through an in-house
Apache module, we dynamically serve domains based on the incoming request.

Now, we want to offer customers SSL-access to their domains, with
individual certificates.

So, I want to be able to read in certificate files based on what
request_rec knows, and without knowing anything about the available
domains (and thus, certificate files) at server startup. Is there any
way to do this easily, or does this require major redesigns of the
certificate handling inside the module?

Looking forward to any thoughts!

--
Adam Hasselbalch Hansen