[Modules] mod_auth_xradius cannot communicate with FreeRadius server

Justin Mitchell Justin.Mitchell at emp.shentel.com
Thu Jul 16 08:50:10 EDT 2009

  I am experiencing a problem with the module not sending requests to my radius server.  I am getting prompted for a UID and password but after entering valid information the prompt immediately returns a 401 error.  Running my radius in debug confirms that the service is never polling the radius server for authentication.
  The freeradius server is on the same host as the apache so this is not a networking issue.  I am also certain that this is not a radius issue since the service is functioning for other applications.  The module is loading properly and the error logs are less than helpful.  Apache error log states the following :

access to / failed, reason: verification of user id 'valid_user' not configured

  Below is the section of my httpd.conf file that pertains to this module.  Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong?  I copied the example config from the website as a template so it's a little wordy.

                ## This Loads mod_auth_xradius into Apache
LoadModule auth_xradius_module modules/mod_auth_xradius.so

    ## The Cache for mod_auth_xradius must be configured globally.
    ## If you do not want Authentication Caching, set:
    # AuthXRadiusCache none -

    ## A Local DBM Based Cache (low performance)
    # AuthXRadiusCache dbm "conf/auth_xradius_cache"

    ## Only a Single memcached Server
    # AuthXRadiusCache memcache "127.0.0.1"
    ## Multiple memcached Servers
   # AuthXRadiusCache memcache "127.0.0.1 10.0.0.10 10.0.0.11 10.0.0.11:11212"

    ## Time in Seconds that an entry will be cached.
  #  AuthXRadiusCacheTimeout 300

    <Directory "/var/www/html/">
        ## All of the directives inside the <Directory> block can be placed
        ## inside '.htaccess' files.

        ## This is what the client sees in their Prompt.
        AuthName "Private Area"

        ## Type of authentication to use.
        AuthType basic

        ## Address and the Shared Secret of the RADIUS Server to contact.
        AuthXRadiusAddServer "localhost:1812" "valid-secret"
        ## Multiple Servers can be added in the same context.
        # AuthXRadiusAddServer "10.0.0.10:1812" "2secrets"
        # AuthXRadiusAddServer "10.0.0.11:1812" "secret1"

        ## Time in Seconds to wait for replies from the RADIUS Servers
        AuthXRadiusTimeout 2

## Number of times to resend a request to a server if no reply is received.
        AuthXRadiusRetries 2

        ## This tells apache that we want a valid user and password.
        require valid-user
    </Directory>

Thank you,

Justin Mitchell