[Modules] mod_gnutls is eating memory

Hardy Griech ntbox at mardys.de
Sun Mar 27 16:33:57 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have a small test program which does simple http requests via TLS in
an endless loop.

On the server side memory usage is increasing while the test is running.
  If apache is restarted, actual resource consumption gets a reset to
its normal state.

If openssl (mod_ssl) is used, memory consumption does not increase.

I've first observed this on a patched mod_gnutls which uses TLS-PSK, so
I thought the fault was on my side.

But after removing the PSK patches, the problem still persists with
RSA-AES256.  So I'm now assuming, that either mod_gnutls (0.5.9) or
gnutls (2.10.3) itself is the culprit.

This all happens on Debian (mod_gnutls compiled myself).

The test program looks like:

#!/bin/bash
cd /tmp
while true; do
   wget --proxy=off -O info.cgi.html --no-check-certificate
'https://192.168.178.30/hardy/info.cgi'
done

Anybody else? Anybody got an idea where to start searching?

Thanks

Hardy