[Modules] GnuTls: Base64 unexpected header error

gnd at itchybit.org gnd at itchybit.org
Wed May 20 07:42:57 EDT 2009

Hello,

we recently moved some websites to another server. One of the websites has
a certificate issued by Equifax, its a QuickSSL Premium programme.

When we moved the site to the other server, i copied the certificate and
the private key as well. The problem is that when im trying to start
apache with the old key & cert i get this error:

Syntax error on line 143 of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/vhosts.conf:
GnuTLS: Failed to Import Private Key '/etc/apache2/ssl.key/xxx_real.key':
(-207) Base64 unexpected header error.
 failed!

apache wont start. the conf looks like this:

        GnuTLSEnable on
        GnuTLSPriorities NORMAL
        DocumentRoot ....
        ServerName xxx.com:443
        GnuTLSCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/xxx_old.crt
        GnuTLSKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl.key/xxx_old.key

When i try to verify the cert and the privkey with the openssl utility -
its OK. Maybe the problem is that on the old server we had a different
version of openssl and we were using mod_ssl instead of mod_gnutls ??

Thank you for answers,

gnd/